Maritime Skills Alliance
The Maritime Skills Alliance sets and promotes skills standards for the UK’s maritime sector. Much of our work so far has been devoted to developing a suite of interlocking standards and qualifications which enable employees to progress both within their specialism and between sectors.
You can find a complete and regularly updated list of all our Units and Qualifications here. The link in the SQA panel to the right is the best way to get access to detail on each of the qualifications. For Units, see the Publications page.
Our principal functions are to:
- develop common training and qualifications frameworks, including apprenticeships
- maintain a suite of National Occupational Standards
- secure a good range of high-quality education and training provision
- undertake assessments of the maritime labour market and emerging skill needs
- represent the maritime sector and champion its skills needs at appropriate forums
- raise the profile and perception of the maritime sector through Sea Vision and other joint initiatives
- develop effective working relationships with the UK Commission for Employment and Skills, relevant Government departments and agencies across the UK, Sector Skills Councils and others
Whilst not a member of Maritime UK, having signed a MoU in July 2016, the MSA participates in Maritime UK's work.