Careers and Outreach
Maritime 2050 is the UK maritime sector’s long-term strategy, setting out a high-level vision for its future. It was published by the Department for Transport (DfT) in January 2019.
Ensuring the required people pipeline is in place is a vital and integral part of the sector and forms an important part of the strategy.
The strategy comprises a series of Route Maps. The People Route Map was published in September 2019. It sets out clear priorities for the sector’s careers and outreach activities:
- Inspiring people particularly young people, to consider in the sector.
- Career progression ensuring those considering embarking on a maritime career or those already in the sector have knowledge and pathways to reach their potential.
The People Route Map tasked Maritime UK to deliver the recommendations and provided an initial £250,000 grant to support delivery. Maritime UK recruited a Programme Manager in the spring of 2020 and agreed upon a programme strategy in July 2020, setting out how the People Route Map recommendations would be delivered.
The Maritime UK strategy set out the key objectives as follows:
- Raise awareness of the maritime sector and careers with stakeholders through a variety of activities.
- Identify, engage with, and collaborate with key influencers, including Industry, Educators, Local Authorities and LEPs, DYW (Developing the Young Workforce) Scotland, Careers Wales, CEC, CDI, the National Careers Service, and DWP Job Centre Plus.
- Develop a growing and engaged careers professionals’ network.
- Develop a growing Industry Ambassadors' network of maritime volunteers.
- Further develop online careers resources by working with industry stakeholders.
- Raise the profile of maritime career activities and opportunities using engaging career resources, including the website and social media channels.
- Maximise annual careers calendar events, such as National Careers Week.
- Identify, plan, and participate in careers events to raise the profile of career opportunities in the sector.
- Support MUK Regional Clusters in their own local career activities.