Exporting Maritime Education and Training
This Workstream focusses on Objective 7 of the Minister’s taking letter to increase exports of maritime education and training.
The Commission, assigned to increase maritime education and training exports, has made progress through meetings, collaborations, and engagements. They have gained insights into current exports, explored collaboration opportunities, identified barriers, and discussed a dedicated document showcasing UK capabilities. Activities have included virtual roundtables, educational showcases, webinars, and maintaining an Exporting Directory. The Commission aims to boost UK's maritime education and training exports and work is ongoing to ensure that the MSC meets this objective.
Further Information and Background:
One of the objectives set for the Commission by the Maritime Minister in the original Tasking Letter of July 2020 is to "increase exports of maritime education and training." The Commission initiated the process by convening an initial meeting with organisations already involved in exporting or expressing a keen interest in doing so. They also engaged with colleagues from the Department for International Trade, whose role is to promote exports.
The Commission established the following initial objectives:
- To facilitate a better understanding among all stakeholders of the current range and nature of maritime education and training exports.
- To explore opportunities for enhanced collaboration, both between organisations and with the Department for Business and Trade.
- To identify barriers that may hinder greater effectiveness in exporting maritime education and training and propose suitable measures to address them.
- To consider the feasibility of creating a dedicated document showcasing the UK's strong and broad capability in the field of maritime education and training.
- To decide on the need for establishing a continuing mechanism to facilitate ongoing collaboration.
Progress has been made towards these objectives, including the following accomplishments:
- The Commission conducted an initial virtual roundtable in December 2020, and a recording of the discussion is available.
- The objective was actively shared and discussed during the 'Educational Showcase' held as part of London International Shipping Week. A recording of the event is accessible below.
- A webinar focused on the 'Indonesia Opportunity' was organised and recorded for future reference.
- The Commission maintains an Exporting Directory, regularly updated and accessible to provide relevant information.
By pursuing these actions and maintaining an ongoing effort, the Commission aims to promote and expand the export of maritime education and training from the UK.
The purpose of the Directory is to support contact between organisations in the UK, particularly to help you find partners for your work overseas and to understand better the range of expertise available. It is not intended as a selling document for contacts overseas; that job is better done with something targeted for each opportunity. This Directory is a live document which is regularly updated. Organisations are listed alphabetically.